Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What's a BAD Movie?


I don't set out to watch bad films. I'm not a bliever in the "so bad it's good" school of entertaimnet. As the great Huey Lewis once said, "Sometimes bad is bad." Unfortunately, it happens. One day I was watching an Albert Brooks film I'd never seen before. Now, Brooks is one of my favorite comedic talents. I love his films, but this one wasn't very good. When I finished, my wife asked me what I was going to say about it on my regular film blog and I replied, "I'll never write about this film." Later, however, I started thinking that that was too bad, because I like writing about films, even the bad ones. And since I watch a lot of movies, it stands to reason that there will be some I don't like. So, to fulfill my need to write about even the bad movies, this blog was born.

Now you won't find the newest teenage idiot movie, and you won't find the most recent cartoon remake, or comic book hero fantasy, or slasher movie, or action-adventure films on this site for the simple reason that I don't watch those things. And besides, you already know they're bad. So, what constitutes a bad film in my opinion? One that doesn't deliver on a promise. The films I watch, I watch because I expect them to be good. When they let me down, those are the films you'll read about here. And you may find a few unexpected names, popular films, even academy award winning films, that I think are bad. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily right, and you may not agree, but as much as possible I attempt to explain my rationale and try to make a compelling case for why the film doesn't work for me. With any luck, it just might save you from being as disappointed as I was.

As always, I hope you'll join me in the conversation.
E.B. Neslowe

No comments:

Post a Comment